Dandelion - A weed? or a flower?

Have you ever wondered about the dandelion and what it is? Is it a weed? or is it a flower? Most people work really hard to get rid of the dandelions in their yard and classify them as weeds. However if you really research the dandelion and learn about it, it's not a bad plant and has many good uses and a lot of good symbolic uses as well.

First of all, dandelions are not native to North America and it is believed that they were brought over on the Mayflower for its many medicinal uses. In fact, even today, grown the proper way, you can even use the dandelion to eat, make honey, tea, jelly, etc. It is good for you.

Now, did you know that the dandelion is also a very symbolic flower as well. A dandelion with their golden flowers in the early spring, dandelions represent the return of life, the rebirth of growth and green after a harsh winter, and a display of abundant strength and power.

The dandelion has been determined to represent the military child. It grows strong roots wherever it's seeds land. The dandelion seeds fly off the plan and where they land they root and flow more plants. so does the military child. They move around with the military parent(s), grow new roots and thrive and create a new life. The military child repeat this process until the parent retires from the military or the child leaves for college and moves on to begin their own life. In fact, the dandelion has become the official "flower" of the military child.










Today, on my walk, i noticed quite a few yellow and white dandelions and decided to pick some and bring them home. This decision is what reinvigorated a new life into this blog. When I was a kid, I followed the rules and did what i was supposed to do as a military kid. I never put much thought into the life. As I got older, i started to hate the military life. I hated the moving around and having to make new friends and so forth, I NEVER wanted that for my kids. I never really embraced the military life until I got older and was able to really look back and realize what I learned from all the moves and changes in life.

Now, as I face old age and empty nest life, I can look back and realize that I learned a lot of amazing things from the military life and those crazy moves. I learned how to adapt to change, how to talk to people I didn't know, how to make new friends and that it was okay to pick and go when I wanted to. Now, I am able to look back and appreciate those days and embrace them and the sacrifice our family made for this country. Here is a photo I took of the dandelions I picked today on my mindful Monday walk today.












Until next time, Have a great Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pics by Pam

A Rose by Any Other Name...